Song of the Day: Ravi Shankar

Thursday, March 18, 2010
As you've probably noticed from most of my recent music posts, I've been on a big Classical Indian music kick... particularly the work of sitar master Ravi Shankar. It reminds me of when I first discovered jazz, around the age of 16 and 17. Jazz was such an unfamiliar world of music, with an incredible depth of variety, diversity, and style... I barely knew where to begin. But I just kept listening and listening and listening... until I finally began to understand and be greatly moved by an incredible form of music. I'm on a similar journey right now with Indian music. I'm still quite an amateur listener, but I'm quickly falling under the spell of this peaceful yet ecstatic music.

The clip below is of Ravi Shankar playing "Raag Bihag" back in 1971. One of the Youtube comments (so take this with a grain of salt) notes that "Raag Bihag is a night raag that inspires the mood of shringar raas (loving affairs between Lord Krishna and Shri Radha). So, this is a good one to play with some lit candles and incense, some delicious wine or tea, and someone special to hold close.

Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment